Not everyone knows that these antioxidant, vitamin-rich, and low-calorie veggies will help keep cholesterol at bay.

Cholesterol is a very important type of fat for regulating certain functions in the body and the body produces about 80% of the total fat. The remaining 20% ​​enters through the foods we eat and is deposited in the blood. Keeping this parameter under control, and following a healthy diet, is the first step to staying healthy and preventing the onset of various diseases. To do this, it is important to know and evaluate the nutritional properties of the foods we buy daily. Among the most popular foods we find spinach, which would be beneficial for controlling cholesterol and protecting the health of the heart, arteries and brain. Not to mention other lesser known foods, such as peas, which have the same properties

In this article we will talk about “puntarelle”, a specific type of dandelion asparagus. It has white sprouts that are pressed and crunchy and can be eaten both raw and cooked as we will see in the last part of the article. But for now, we’ll focus our attention on its nutritional properties and potential health benefits.

Not everyone knows that these antioxidant, vitamin-rich, and low-calorie veggies will help keep cholesterol at bay.

First of all, as stated in the pages of Humanitas, 100 grams of dandelion brings only 23 calories. This makes it particularly suitable for those who need to follow a low-calorie diet to lose weight. Moreover, being made up of 93% water and 4% fiber, dandelion also helps to regulate bowel activity. but that is not all. Indeed, thanks to these properties, it will help the body in keeping the levels of glucose and cholesterol in the blood under control.
Furthermore, dandelion is an excellent source of mineral salts (including potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, and iron) as well as vitamins. Among the latter, the following stand out:

  • Vitamin A, necessary for the functioning of eyesight, bones and reproductive system, for males and females;
  • Vitamin C, which is very important for its antioxidant functions.

How to clean and cook this type of dandelion

Therefore, not everyone knows that this vegetable with its amazing nutritional properties will help control cholesterol. Now, let’s see how we can use it in the kitchen.

First of all, before proceeding with the classic “sliding” process, the dandelion must be thoroughly washed under running water to remove all remnants of the soil. Once this is done, it is necessary to separate the tuft from the outer leaves, as well as remove the base and the most hardened ears. Then it is enough to cut the dandelion in half vertically and get long and narrow strips from each half. Once done, immerse it in cold water and lemon to soften its bitter taste. After about an hour, boil them in salted water for 3 minutes and then drain. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together 1 part pecorino romano and 1 part breadcrumbs. Arrange the dandelions on a nonstick skillet and season with extra virgin olive oil, the mixture made above and other flavors to taste. At this point, we bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes, and we are ready to serve the chicory as a side dish.

Suggestions for reading

According to science, these are the foods that help protect health, the wallet, and the planet

(The information in this article is for informational purposes only. We do not know the eating habits and any intolerance of our readers which is why it is advised to consult your doctor about foods that can harm your health. It is highly recommended that you read the warnings related to this article and the author’s responsibilities that can be referenced here”)

Leave a Comment