There are about 3 million cancer patients who can now claim victory in the battle. But in the face of victory over disease, the price to pay for heart health is certainly high.
A recent study of the causes of death of 1,807 cancer survivors found, in a 7-year follow-up, that 33% died of heart disease.
there Chemotherapy Biological therapies and radiotherapy They can, in fact, provoke Multiples In the short and long term, the development of a series of side effects is favorable in patients heart and blood vessels: Heart failure, myocardial infarction, thromboembolism, arrhythmia, hypertension.
The numbers speak for themselves: a patient out of three Dies Because cause heart disease give her Drug treatments or radiotherapy distance cancer.
“An increasing number of people are being diagnosed with cancer with cardiovascular risk factors (hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia, diabetes, arterial hypertension) or silent heart disease – explains Nicola Mauria, director of the complex structure of cardiology at the Pascal Foundation in Naples -. Everyone is focused on eliminating cancer, these problems are either not recognized or treated appropriately.”
Faced with these figures, the specialists, who gathered during the International Workshop on Cardiology in Naples, presented the rules that fall directly into the ideal anti-tumor treatment.
- Control your weight, prevent it from gaining under the influence of treatments or reduce it in case of overweight/obese: stay alone perfect weight It is necessary to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and reduce the frequency of their occurrence.
- build one active lifestyle Get used to using your body whenever possible, for example by walking or cycling and avoiding elevators and escalators whenever possible.
- Practice physical/sports activity Regularly 2-3 times a week: it is a “treatment” that counteracts the side effects of treatments and significantly reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and the risk of tumor recurrence.
- reduce or cancel cigarette smoke.
- Reduce or eliminate consumption alcohol.
- Controls cholesterol and triglycerides, values can change during oncology treatments; to reduce it Yes to diet, physical activity and any lipid-lowering medication (effectively lowers cholesterol).
- check the blood pressure In the case of high blood pressure, appropriate pharmacological treatment should be followed under medical supervision.
- choose one A balanced diet rich in vegetables limits or eliminates red meat, sugars and sweets, but without any other special restrictions. Extreme diets, such as a vegetarian diet, are difficult to keep in balance, and there is no clear evidence of any benefits.
- Discuss with your oncologist an employment opportunity Calcium and Vitamin D To counteract the tendency to osteoporosis caused by exercising treatments.
- contact a cardiologist For an optimal approach to integrated control of the risks of tumors and the heart